One Good Turn Deserves Another


"Ette Nna, please, mbok, I'm begging you. Go and ask Uso for some money so that this boy will go back to school. He has stayed at home for one whole week now. How do you expect him to pass his exams well if he keeps being thrown out for school fees?" Mama Nna had cried her eyes sore.
Ette Nna looked at his wife sadly, but deep anger formed a lump in his throat. He could not mutter a word. He stood up and headed for the door. Mama Nna swiftly fell at his feet, tugging his worn but clean trousers.
"Please. My husband, I'm begging you," she said.
Ette Nna pulled his right leg free from her grip and walked out.
***
The courtyard was empty. He looked around. No one was in sight. Of course, every single child in the compound housing six families had gone to school, and the parents too had gone about their various businesses.
He sighed deeply and walked out of the compound. He stopped an okadaman.
"12 Okoneyo street," he said.
"150," came the disgruntled reply.
"What? Place where I fit trek reach?" he retorted.
"Mtschewwww, trek am now," the okadaman said and all what Ette Nna saw was smoke trailing from the bike's exhaust pipe as the okadaman rode away.
"Oga you dey go?" another motorcyclist said, pulling up in front of him.
"I wan go Okoneyo, number 12. Na 150 dey my hand wey I wan carry go, carry come back. You go collect N70?"
"Oga bring N120."
"Shey I don talk my matter already. You gree?"
"Ok. I go collect N100."
***
Obviously running out of time, Ette Nna decided to trek the distance. "I have not eaten since morning. Nobody should take my breath away, please," he muttered.
The okadaman pulled up in front of him. "Oga climb. Na help I dey help you. I kno say country hard."
"Thank you," he replied.
Fifteen minutes later, they pulled up in front of a freshly painted red gate.
"Hmmmm, Uso has repainted his house. This is good," he said as he handed over N100 note to the okadaman.
While waiting for his change, he looked around. His cousin's house stood out beautifully from the rest. He was deeply happy for Uso. A hardworking young man like Uso deserves God's blessings.
He got his change and walked briskly to the gate. He rapped on it thrice. A young boy opened the gate.
"Uncle welcome!" he screamed, drawing the attention of his two siblings who were playing near their father's car.
The duo ran up to the uncle. "Uncle welcome, uncle welcome..." they chorused.
"Why are you at home today?" he asked, hugging them at his knees.
"Midterm break..." the eldest said.
"Uncle where is Ime? You did not come with him? Is his school also on break? When will he come to visit us?" the youngest and only female child asked.
"Madam questionnaire, won't you even take your uncle inside and serve him a glass of water?" Mrs Uso said, walking up to welcome her husband's cousin.
"Mummy!" the eldest said, running to her. "I saw that aunty that ... "
"Kai, wait first. Don't you see I have a visitor?" she told the boy smiling, but firmly holding him aside.
"Bro welcome o. Please come inside. How is the family?"
"They are all fine. God is keeping us," he replied.
"Of course. He always will. Please have a seat while I get you a drink. Meanwhile, I hope you don't mind some chinchin with groundnut. Breakfast is finished and I've not yet started preparing lunch," the kind Mrs Uso said.
"Madam madam, you are always very hospitable. Anything o, my dear. Anything you offer me will go down well," Ette Nna said, grateful to have something to put in his growling stomach.
***
Mrs Uso served her visitor and they talked about everything and nothing while waiting for Mr USO who was having his bath. Few minutes later, he joined them.

"My brother, sorry o. I woke up late. I had today off so I ddecided to have sufficient rest. This madam even brought me breakfast in bed," USO said, shaking his cousin's hand.
"That's beautiful," Ette Nna replied, obviously pleased.
"…And intelligent too. If I had come out here, you see those little bumpkins I have, they will not give me rest," he said laughing.
"Daddy give me this. Daddy do that. Daddy jump. Daddy cry...ohoh!"
They all burst into laughter.
"Just thank God it's only one you have," Uso said.
"Abi o my brother, hmmmmm. How would I have managed," Ette Nna replied.
Mrs Uso could not help but notice the sadness in his voice as his expression changed. She quickly got up, very sure that his visit was not a pleasant one.
"Please let me get something done," she said, getting up to leave in order to give Ette Nna the confidence to talk to his cousin.
"It's okay, dear," her husband replied.
"Please feel at home Ette Nna. I'll be right back," she said.
"Of course. Thank you," Ette Nna said.
***
Ette Nna relayed his predicament to his cousin who listened attentively.
"...and that's how Nna has been out of school for a week now," he said.
"Hmmmmm," was the only response Uso gave.
After some minutes, he finally spoke up. "How much is the school fees?"
"N28,000," Ette Nna replied.
"Hmmmmm," Uso said. How should he say what he had to say in a polite manner.
"Ette Nna, you know I respect you a lot. I know you did not bring this on yourself, but why would you leave Nna in that expensive school since you can no longer afford it?" Uso asked.
Ette Nna was taken aback. Why will Uso say such a thing?
"Please don't be offended," Uso continued. "Your business crashed, but you still left your child in an expensive school. Now see what you are putting him through."
Pin drop silence.
Mrs Uso's eyes filled with tears as she listened to her husband from the doorway where she was eavesdropping on their conversation.
"Why should Uso say such a thing?" she thought.
Uso kept on ranting about Ette Nna's lack of wisdom in financial matters. And then he said, "I am very sorry. I have no dime on me. If I knew there was something like this, I would have delayed the project of painting my house."
Ette Nna, though hurt, clearly understood his cousin's reasons. He bowed his head and looked at his palms. Uso was his last hope. If Uso can't help him, who will?
Mrs Uso could no longer hold herself. Tears kept pouring down her face.
How could her husband be so heartless and forgetful. Just a year ago, Ette Nna was robbed of every single dime he had at home. As if that was not enough, his careless shop attendant left a boiling ring plugged in the shop and unattended to, thus leading to a fire outbreak in his shop. The fire was so bad it raged into his neighbour's shop. Ette Nna had to pay for damages. Of what use was sacking a poor shop attendant. That incident left Mama Nna bedridden in the hospital because of shock, hypertensive as she already was.
Ette Nna spent his savings on his sick wife and in paying damages. He also used same to pay his suppliers for the goods he had bought.
How could Uso forget that Ette Nna quickly moved out of his apartment, rented it out and paid for a smaller flat in a low cost environment?
How could Uso forget that Nna was withdrawn and admitted into a far less expensive school?
What else does Uso expect a man like Ette Nna to do beyond what he has done already?
The fact that he needs only N28,000 was enough to show that things are very bad with Ette Nna.
"What a lie! Uso not having a dime?!" she thought.
***
Kpimmmm kpimmmm. The blare of horns startled her.

"Eyina open the gate," Uso shouted as he stepped out on the verandah.
Eyina, his gateman and errand boy rushed to the gate. Soon a black Toyota Corolla drove in. Uso's face lit up. He walked briskly to the car and held the door open for the driver.
"Man of God, welcome," he said cheerfully.
Samson, his friend, was also pleased to see him. "My man! It's good to see you," he said.
"Ah, come in. Come in," Uso said, leading the way to his living room.
"Stop calling me man of God o o," Samson said laughing.
"Before nko, if I no call you who I go call," Uso replied.
"I be pastor?" Samson asked.
"Na by that? Abegi. You wey no dey go church sef," Uso said teasing.
"So you know I don't go to church but you are calling me man of God."
"Yes now, so that the spirit of church attendance will come upon you," and they all burst out laughing.
As they entered the living room, Ette Nna rose courteously and they both exchanged pleasantries.
Samson spoke and laughed boisterously, obviously having a good time. Mrs Uso served him a can of Orijin drink, and refilled Ette Nna's plate with chinchin and groundnut.
Samson told Uso all about his family, business and especially his investments. Uso enjoyed every bit of the discussion. Ette Nna, though putting up a pleasant disposition, was displeased by this intrusion and of course, Samson's stories brought sad memories of his lost wealth.
After 45 minutes of fun for both Samson and Uso, Samson was ready to take his leave.
"Please, hold on. I have something for you," Uso said and rushed into his room. He returned with a thick, bulging envelope which he handed over to Samson.
"Which one is this again?" Samson asked smiling sheepishly.
"I know this is chicken change to you, but my guy just take am drink water. You know say na you sure pass," Uso said happily.
"Ah, thank you o. You've done well. You are very generous. No worry, you go chop more money," Samson said and they stepped out.
***
"N150,000..." Ette Nna heard faintly as his cousin accompanied his friend to his shiny black Toyota Corolla.
Few minutes later, Uso returned.
"Hmmmmm Ette Nna sorry for wasting your time..." he said.
"No problem. I should also be on my way," Ette Nna replied, standing up.
Uso looked sad. "I wish I could do more, but please take this N10,000 and see how you can balance it up for your son's school fees," he said.
Ette Nna looked at the wad of N500 notes his cousin held out to him. He has never been a proud man. He stretched out his hands and took it. "I have no right to tell a man what to do with his money," he said, smilinh at his cousin. "Thank you very much. Nna will be grateful. So will my wife be."
As he turned around to leave, his eyes met with Mrs Uso's and he smiled at her. "Maybe you should try coming around to Friday Avenue someday. I got a new shop. It's not as big as the other, but it's sufficient for a start," he said to her and she nodded.
"Uso, you too. Please do come around. I sell books and office supplies now."
Uso said nothing. Ette Nna walked out briskly and left his cousin's house.
Uso looked at his wife who said nothing. "I have no right to tell a man what to do with his money," Ette Nna's words rang in his ears.

"He who oppresses the poor to get gain for himself and he who gives to the rich—both will surely come to want." - Proverbs 22:16

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thankfulness

HAPPY 2018

REFLECTIONS