SPIRITUAL WORKOUT

DOWNLOAD POST HERE


          I have a very tall and handsome cousin. He is well-built and fit. He is in very good shape and does a lot of exercise that’s because he gyms every evening. I am not a sporty person, though I am thinking of trying out at something new. I remember when I was in secondary school. Every Saturday morning, before the morning prayers,
I’ll set out with some friends to jog around the school football pitch. To our dismay, we made it only as far as the first corner (the field is rectangular) nearly fainting with that much exertion. But I did not give up. Every time, I tried again. With time, I made it round the whole length of the field. Then the number of rounds increased to 2, 3, 4 and so on and finally, one day I made it round the field 11 times! I was so happy. I felt like an Olympics gold winner. :D It felt good but when I got saved and learnt about self-control and dying to sin, I knew that some disciplines are more important than others. You know, I did not keep at my jogging sport for long but my cousin has kept at his gyming and now he looks perfect and fit. I am sure you also exercise yourself in one way or the other; may be just as a sport or a weight-loss routine.
            Apostle Paul links this idea of necessary training and discipline with the spiritual life. 1 Timothy 4:7 says, “Train yourself to be godly.” I n essence, he is saying, “Gymnasticize yourself for the purpose of godliness.” He is calling for a spiritual workout. It is this spiritual workout that God deems so much more than your exercise routine. I understand Paul’s exercise priorities. “Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.” 2 Corinthians 4:16
           Like the Greek athletes who lay aside even their clothing to avoid encumbrances, we need to lay aside every association, habit and tendency that impedes godliness. The writer of Hebrew talks about this, “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such great a cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked for us.”
           When I got saved, I shed some habits, associations and pastimes but as time went on and I settled in the faith, I picked them up again but it caused so much “drag” to my Christian life. But now, I am determined to let go off them all over again. What is weighing you down today? Those things will have to go. What is keeping you from accepting Christ as your Lord and Saviour? Is it your belief, tradition, intellect, relationship or position?
            Once you have removed obstacles and hindrances, your call to training also demands that you direct your energy toward godliness. “But I discipline my body and bring into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified,” writes Paul 1 Cor. 9:27. It isn’t a cushy, low-impact workout. It is a call to serious commitment and “no-pain, no-gain” effort. Like my cousin I mentioned, he willingly undergoes hours of discipline and pain in order to meet the goal, to win the prize. But we may forget to bring the same discipline to our flabby souls.
           Do not think that spiritual discipline is “Living the letters of the Law” or a series of draconian rules that no one can possibly live up to. True discipline is a far cry from this. It is God-centred. The true heart of discipline is a relationship with God. Open your heart and thoughts with the hope that God’s word will help you choose to train arduously in the pursuit of God and godliness and that you will submit to His plan for your life.

Remember: “Physical training is good but training for godliness is much better, promising benefits in this life and in the life to come.”  1Timothy 4:8

Comments

  1. This is a timely article. I am encouraged to workout for the purpose of godliness. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are welcome. I am happy for you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

HAPPY 2018

Thankfulness