DEEPER BIBLE STUDY STRATEGIES


Hmmmmm. In 2016 (oh my, how time flies) I met with a fellow with whom I was impressed. For days, he had been trying to fix an appointment with me; said he really needed to discuss something very important. Finally, we had that appointment.

While he was discussing that very important thing (big grin), I noticed something about his Bible. It had lots and lots of marks, notes, inscriptions, etc. He had underlined verses, highlighted some others with a highlighter, put some dots and arrows at other places, and all what not. Now, did I mention that the pages had turned brown from use. Hold on. His Bible still looked well cared for. I was very impressed by how much attention he had given to the study of the word.

From then on, I made up my mind to boldly mark my Bible. I guess I thought that the more ink marks I saw, the more encouraging it will be to me that I was studying more,  and of course, anyone who comes across my Bible will see them too (show off! Lol).


I started out on that and discovered two things:
1) There were certain verses I'd marked already many years ago. As I looked at those verses, memories of what happened as at then flooded back, and I learned that marking my Bible kinda like leaves a landmark or builds an altar on that experience.

2) The marks increased as I committed myself more to the study of the word. I found out that I'd not being doing so. I'd only been scratching and poking and picking, but not really spent time digging in.

This post is not about marking your Bible, trust me. It's a call to deeper study and acquaintance with the Word. And do you know what Pastor John Piper said? See this:

"...not to produce a lot of Bible nerds, but a kind of Christian who is so deep and unshakable in their convictions about eternal reality that they are not blown over by the winds of trouble and don’t simply float mindlessly along, conforming to the currents of contemporary culture."

And that's just the aim!


So, today's resource is from Desiring God. The post is titled: Deeper Bible Study Strategies for the Tired and Busy. You can read it here.


I hope you enjoy it. Don't forget to come back and leave a comment.

Have a blessed day.
I love you. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HAPPY 2018

SPIRITUAL WORKOUT

Thankfulness