In The Middle Of The Beginning

My name is Yubbie Ubong Akpan. I am from a very rich home. My family is one big happy family and we are very wealthy. When I say "we are rich", I mean every letter of the word R-I-C-H. We lack nothing in terms of food, water, clothing, shelter, security, good health, unity and peace of mind, unity etc. My father has mansions, estates and industries, on hills and plains reaching out to places unknown and far beyond human eye; as well as orchards of mouth-watering fruits. Our gates are made of pearls and our pavements of ruby. Our floor is marble and our windows are made of stained glass. We have large rooms and halls and a very big den with a wall-mount television, where my dad and brother watch the daily activities of man. Almost all our furniture is made of gold, except the toilet, bathroom and kitchen which have silver and stainless steel equipment. We have lots of servants in attendance, who do their work with pleasure and outstanding radiance; especially when it comes to the night of songs. The most captivating part of it all is the meadow behind our mansion where I spend my evenings with my father especially after prayers. Sometimes, my brother joins us on some occasions it is just I and my brother alone.

My father is a powerful and all-knowing man. He has nations under His control. What I love most is His temper; he is slow to anger but swift to mercy. He is a man of war and ruler of great places. He has attained so much that all I have to do is just to do as He says and whatever I want, that I receive in abundance. My brother, on the other hand, is a quiet and humble fellow. He is tolerant, loving, caring, gracious and generous. He is very popular but not proud. He is intelligent and well-known for His stories. Though He is loved by many, there are still people who hate Him and some who don’t even know about Him. Some who know about him say he is not my father’s son. I usually wonder how people believe in my father without acknowledging Him because most people know my father through Him. Hmmm, people can be so ungrateful. I blame myself for not introducing Him to my friends, neighbours, classmates, school mates etc. Anyway, it is high time people knew Him.

My brother has a friend whom my father likes so much. I don’t usually see him, but I always feel his presence when He is around or when I’m alone in the meadows with dad. He is very quiet and of good comfort. He is just like my brother and my dad likes sending Him on errands because he is faithful. I do feel His presence in my everyday life and I usually find myself looking forward to seeing Him. One of the most memorable things my dad and brother have done for me is to have overlooked my worst of wrongdoings, just because I said, "I’m SORRY", and I usually mean it. My brother once took my wrong-doings and its consequences upon himself. He suffered all the pains and torture for me because I was small and didn’t know what I was doing. That act which I will never forget and which is the sole reason for my being alive today.

Those blissful and glorious days started fading away when I decided to go out on my own into the world. I forsook my best and most trusted friend; G Angel and mixed up with all kinds of people, calling them my friends. I never had time to study the book my father had given me to help live my life right. I became proud in my relationship with my father and brother because I thought it was due to my hard work and self-sufficiency that I had made great success. I thought I will be able to supplement and provide all my needs. I took all what I had with me on my journey. Worst of it all, my father and brother were quiet people and not much of talkers, so they did not say much, but I felt their compassion towards me. My brother let me go my way because He knew I was just like the prodigal son in the Bible, but He was afraid, I will die without having the time to see my mistakes. I was so full of myself; I was doing good by helping others, associating with everybody, treating others with kindness and not

discriminating them. Even though this was right, they let some things happen to me, which are still as fresh as time in my memory.

The good old days I spent in the meadows with my dad, I then spent it with my friends chatting away. I used my capacity as to the level of my IQ to help people when they needed my help academically or morally, but my dad made me see the other side of them and know that; "No matter how good you are, fault will still be found in you." People liked me a lot because of the way I walked, talked, danced and most of all, my friendliness and lifestyle. I was happy about that, because my dream was to live a life worthy of emulation and to leave footprints on the sand of life. Yes, but I discovered that when you are too friendly, you will attract people you don’t like. I did very well in my entire subject especially in mathematics. A subject that is tough for the masses was just like saying the 26 alphabet to me. Only to discover that it was like chasing the wind. With these characteristics, I was approached by many until I felt it to be an embarrassment. To put an end to everything, my dad made my friends turn against me, betray me, gossip about me, envy me, deny me and worst of all, misunderstand me. But as a consolation, he gave me a hard heart against betrayals and my own "hidden evil."

I was disappointed about the way things turned out, and I found myself again. I went with a broken and contrite heart deep in sorrows and blurry vision, for tears had been my food for a long time. I went quietly back to those pearly gates and knocked. It was opened once again wider than ever before. I felt a rush of peace of mind as I poured out my sins, sorrows, anguish and love to my father. He accepted me back. My brother gave me an acceptance letter which is now one of the most powerful verses in the Bible. My dad brought me inspirational books, movies, and other materials, told me proverbs and stories to also boost my positive ego.

I feel a sense of satisfaction and now my future looks brighter. I seem to be at peace with everyone and I’m once more talking freely to my brother and taking evening walks with my dad. Presently on my bed, Bible opens in my thighs, reflecting on those days, I’m happy to have God back in my life. He is my father.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HAPPY 2018

SPIRITUAL WORKOUT

Thankfulness